Monday, December 28, 2009

The Gift of Links, Music, Etc, Etc, Etc




I have been meaning to post this for a while now. The Holiday Jam returned this year after taking a few years off and the usual suspects came along for the ride. This performance was for the benefit of the Sick Kids Foundation a very worthy cause especially at this time of the year which is pretty tough on the families and kids alike. I've linked them for anyone who wishes to make a donation when they grab the download although this is not necessary so don't feel you have to.

The Download

Set list:

t01 - Introduction by Patrick Sambrook
t02 - Gord Downie: Banter
t03 - Gord Downie: Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox (A Rock Anthem) (Guided By Voices)
t04 - Gord Downie: Restless (Gordon Lightfoot)
t05 - Gord Downie: Intro of Jim Bryson
t06 - Jim Bryson: Banter
t07 - Jim Bryson / Sarah Harmer: Skyway (The Replacements)
t08 - Jim Bryson: banter
t09 - Jim Bryson / Sarah Harmer / Kathleen Edwards: Fisherman's Blues (The Waterboys)
t10 - Jim Bryson: Intro of Chris Koster
t11 - Chris Koster: Banter
t12 - Chris Koster: Probably Will (Concrete Blonde)
t13 - Chris Koster: Banter
t14 - Chris Koster: Fully Completely (Tragically Hip)



t15 - Chris Koster: Intro of Lights
t16 - Lights: The Circle Game (Joni Mitchell)
t17 - Lights: Banter
t18 - Lights: Fall Back Down (Rancid)
t19 - Lights: Intro of James McKenty / Banter
t20 - Gord Sinclair / James McKenty / Dave Nugent / Josh Trager: American Girl (Tom Petty)
t21 - Dave Nugent: banter
t22 - Sam Roberts / Eric Fares / Dave Nugent / Gord Sinclair / Josh Trager / James McKentry: Handle with Care (Travelin' Wilburys)
t23 - Dave Nugent: Intro of Kathleen Edwards
t24 - Kathleen Edwards / Jim Bryson: From Hank To Hendrix (Neil Young)
t25 - Kathleed Edwards: Banter
t26 - Kathleed Edwards / Dave Hodge: We Need A Whole Lot More Of Jesus (And A Lot Less Rock & Roll) (Linda Ronstadt)
t27 - Kathleen Edwards: Intro of Harris Jahiek (spelling?)
t28 - Harris Jahiek: Banter
t29 - Harris Jahiek: Bohemian Rhapsody (with crowd singing)
t30 - Harris Jahiek: Intro of Dallas Green
t31 - Dallas Green: Tuning / Banter
t32 - Dallas Green: Sad Days Lonely Nights (Junior Kimbrough)
t33 - Dallas Green: Grinnin' In Your Face (Son House)
t34 - Dallas Green: Intro of Sarah Harmer
t35 - Sarah Harmer: Banter
t36 - Sarah Harmer: Twas In The Moon Of Wintertime (The Huron Christmas Carol) (traditional)
t37 - Sarah Harmer: Mercy, Mercy Me (Marvin Gaye)
t38 - Sarah Harmer: Intro of Sam Roberts
t39 - Sam Roberts: Banter
t40 - Sam Roberts: Strangers (The Kinks)
t41 - Sam Roberts: banter
t42 - break
t43 - Sam Roberts: banter
t44 - "Holiday Jam Players": The Gambler (Kenny Rogers)
t45 - Sam Roberts: intro of Jim Cuddy
t46 - Jim Cuddy: banter
t47 - Jim Cuddy / Sam Cuddy: I'm Looking Through You (The Beatles)
t48 - Jim Cuddy: banter
t49 - Jim Cuddy / Sam Cuddy / Kathleen Edwards: Jackson (Johnny Cash)
t50 - Jim Cuddy: intro of The Skydiggers
t51 - The Skydiggers: banter
t52 - The Skydiggers: Dark Hollow (Grateful Dead)
t53 - The Skydiggers: Good King Wenceslas (traditional)
t54 - The Skydiggers: banter
t55 - All performers: Old Shoes (Tom Waits)

Now Magazine has some video links of the night too as they were one of the sponsors. I'd link them, but since they are basically hypocritical sell-outs I'll let you find them yourself if you must.

Phish are about to drop the hammer on Miami and I won't be there this time. Once again they will be playing 4 shows at American Airlines Arena and anything could happen. Last time George Clinton & P-Funk showed up on the 3rd night, one of the best Phish shows I've ever seen. The 1st set was sick and had some rarities. The second set had P-Funk and Phish's only ever version of The Door's LA Woman. These shows should be great as the boys are in fine form since coming back to rock America. Feel free to follow the run over at Phish Tour where I can properly geek out on this shit.

I just got back from Christmas with the family down in Chatham, ON. I have a feeling that this is the type of southern Ontario city that will eventually be swallowed up by meth tweakers a little bit at a time. There is nothing there for the young and ambitious. You have the old and dying clinging to their religions and hoping for the best and you have The Stoned. I know I'm generalizing here, but if you've followed the downfall of the Rust Belt communities down south you must agree, when too many people have down time they will get high. Whoa, nice start to a Christmas recap, eh?

So the fam was good and we ate well. We had a "grazing" theme this year where most of our feedings were put out like appetizer buffets. This happened 3 times and I thought it was great. Meats, cheeses, crackers, veggies & dip, meat balls, I know, I know, cookies, pies, tarts, cakes, chocolates. Like whoa! It was awesome and endless which is exactly how it should be.

I scored some nice gifts as well. The GF & I threw in on a trip we will take up north soon. A relaxing weekend getaway type of thing. I also got some new lamps for the TV room which is huge. I hate overhead light in what is supposed to be a relaxing setting more than I hate most things. I'm not saying it's the only way, it's just what I like and I make no apologies. It will be much more comfortable for reading now. What a great lead in to the book I got, Damned UTD. You may recall the movie that just came out The Damned United with Michael Sheen (Frost/Nixon, The Queen). It's a story based around the football club Leeds United, my team from when I met a Yorkshirite down in Thailand who taught me about the world's game. What else...my sister got me a really nice zip-up hoodie that says The Dead on the front as well as a 2010 Grateful Dead calendar. I also got a really cool Jerry Garcia tree ornament. I will have to take a picture.

On Saturday we hit a Red Wings game in beautiful, balmy downtown Detroit (holla) and they won for a change, 2-1 over the Columbus Blue Jackets. My last 3 visits to The Joe all resulted in losses. I went with the beer and peanut combo on this day and I gotta tell you I was pretty happy with my choice.

Sam, Andy and myself secured tix to the Furthur show in beautiful Utica, NY on Feb 20th. When I think February getaways I think Utica! Ha ha. The show is general admission. I love it when arena shows are GA. Phish in Vegas is always general admission. Of course this seems to work better with the hippie crowd. So, the Utica Memorial Auditorium was built in 1959 and according to Wikipedia was an influence on the current configuration of Madison Square Garden. I am more impressed by it's real claim to fame. It's the arena where they filmed the Hanson Brothers going into the crowd to fight in Slap Shot. (See below) And now it must brace for the Deadhead traveling circus ;)




You can find some Furthur shows for streaming here as well as live shows from many, many other bands in the Live Music Archive.

It looks like Deadhead Express has finished 5th again this year in Fantasy Football. I keep getting screwed in the first round of the playoffs and bumped to the consolation bracket straight off. Then I scream "Fuck" and go on to kick ass the next 2 weeks when I have no chance to make the money anymore. Thankfully I've been pretty good with the sports betting lately and have been able to subsidize a lot of my vices this way.

Check back for a year in review or what I hope to accomplish in the coming year type of post. I need to hold myself accountable for certain goals in life and I may as well do it here. I hope everyone is having a fun, happy and safe holiday season!

Be good to each other,
mrjackstraw

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...