Thursday, January 14, 2010

NFL - Divisional Playoff Picks



So I wanted to get these out early enough in case you wanted to jump on board for the potential fiery crash that can be my football picks. This also gives you good lead time to ponder the exact opposite of everything I'm saying here. That's the disclaimer. Read beyond at your own risk.

First, an update of the mrjackstrawSays ESPN Gridiron Challenge standings after week 1 of the playoffs...

1 Sparty Rules - 133
1 PEI Phantoms - 133
3 mrjackstraw - 121
4 Ken Brown727 - 120
4 tr3k3l - 120
6 The Hook and Ladder - 116
7 Peter North Starts - 113
8 Victorious Secret - 99

The competition will really be Heating as we go forward. The winner receives a non-Blu-Ray DVD of Heat starring Pacino & De Niro.

I can't remember a time when it seems so little faith has been had in the Bye Teams. I know they are all favored, and I think Vegas is pretty much obligated to do so but we have a week where some of the bye teams didn't finish off the season too well going against underdogs who can play on the road and really seem to be firing on all cylinders. Of all the 8 teams I don't see one team that can't go out and win its game outright. Now a statement like that is a good indication that I will be accepting points this weekend. Let's break it down...

Arizona +7 over NEW ORLEANS
New Orleans has done nothing of consequence since beating New England. In fact they've looked pretty regular. And they also haven't played what you would call a "must win" game all year. Sure they have a lot of weapons, but in their last 2 games in which their starters played they couldn't even put up 20 points. If Arizona can establish a ground attack, things will really open up for Warner & the aerial attack. The Cards D needs to play better than last week for sure, but I think GB's offense is a different animal than NO's right now. The crowd will be pumped in the Superdome and the libations will have been flowing all day so the atmosphere should be great. I have to admit I have a soft spot for New Orleans. I've had some great times there and I met my girl there 1 year to the day before that bitch Katrina showed up. New Orleans fans deserve a pay-off and hey maybe they'll win, but I'm taking the points for 4 6 Units. I'm also putting 1U on the under because 57.5 is a knee jerk reaction to last week. If it does go over then it will probably be a hell of a game and whatever.

Baltimore +6.5 over INDIANAPOLIS

For a lot of the same reasons as mentioned above. Manning and the Colts have never excelled after a late season rest + a bye. There is something to be said about maintaining game edge and you can't tell me they have it. The Baltimore D is nasty even as it ages. They held the Colts to just 17 in Baltimore earlier this year. Ray Rice is going to pound it too. And pound it. And pound it. Then they will give it to Willis McG. And he too will pound the rock. They will try to dominate time of possession and keep Peyton off the field. Flacco just needs to play steady and protect the ball. The Colts D is not scary at all. GIMMIE DA POINTS PLEASE!!! 4 Units.

MINNESOTA -2.5 over Dallas
This was a hard one for me. Dallas is playing great and they have so many weapons on both sides of the ball. Romo has cleared a few mental hurdles in the last few games and he's got to be thinking it's all gravy from here. I expect him to be fairly relaxed. On the other side we have the Vikings who have not been great down the stretch, but they did play out the season to earn the #2 seed. Maybe the time off healed a few nagging injuries? This game will come down to turnovers. A couple of stupid throws by either guy and one side will be trying to come back against the other's above average D. Favre is the most likely to "chuck & hope" but he's also the most likely to lead either team on a late 4th quarter drive when it's all on the line. Which AP will we see? The 1st half AP or the 2nd half AP? This is one of the few home field advantages left in the NFL according to Bill Simmons. He picks worse than me. 2 Units on Minny.

New York Jets +7.5 over SAN DIEGO
I booked this bet for 2 Units as soon as the line came out. It's dropped to 7 points and it wouldn't surprise me if it fell another half point. It was probably a knee jerk reaction by me after the Jets hosed me last week, but I'm glad I got in when I did since the spread was only ever going to move in one direction. If the SD defense has any sort of success stopping the Jets running game we'll see what the rookie QB can do in another road playoff game. If he starts turning it over SD is going to make the Jets pay. As good as the Jets D is will they be able to stop Rivers and his giant WRs + Gates? What if LT reemerges? If SD can control time of possession I think they win the game. I don't think this is necessarily so for the Jets. I'm really not convinced in my hasty pick here, but I don't hate it either.

I'm not condoning it, but if you must place a wager to get any enjoyment out of your sports fetish I place all my bets at SPORTS INTERACTION.


Recap:
Arizona +7 for 6 Units
Baltimore +6.5 for 4 Units
Minnesota -2.5 for 2 Units
New York +7.5 for 2 Units


Good luck people!


2 comments:

Matty Matty Vince y'all said...

Hey D,

I like these teams A>T>S. Colts, Saints, Cowboys(to outright win), and Charges. Now that should be a the kiss of death to these teams.

Unknown said...

Exactly the opposite of me which is never a bad strategy Matty. I'm looking forward to all of these games. 8 good teams with a lot of good players. I feel like anything could happen in any game.

49ers are going to London next year vs Broncos. That should fuck your season. Thankfully the Lions don't draw enough interest for that shit not that it would matter. In fact, the NFL should sent real shitty teams. That way they don't mess up a contender's season by sending them across the pond & back. Or in the 49ers case, across the country, the pond, back across the pond and finally back across the country.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...