Thursday, June 2, 2011

What's the Word?

Wow Darren! You must be SO busy down in Sunny LV to not have posted in 2 months. And even when you did post it was only some lame pictures of old Las Vegas that you manipulated so no one could see just how shitty of a photographer you really are. So what's been happening? What's the Word mrjackstraw?

First, I don't know who you think you are to be coming on MY website and asking and demanding that I answer your questions. On what authority are you even here? How did you gain access? You know what? I don't even care. I'll play along with your little game. Just keep it aboveboard, K?

What's been happening? What's the Word?

Well, as you astutely mentioned, nothing's been happening here @ mrjackstrawsays. Lot's has been happening elsewhere though. But can I remember it all? That was supposed to be the purpose of this space. Regular entries on my life and my mind. Now it's scattered and there's no way I can bring it ALL back. Fuck.

How about some of it? The highlights to start maybe.

Shit. That's easy. I got married. No big ceremony. That's to come later. A goal we're moving towards together. 'We' being my wife & I of course. This was more to get some paperwork moving along regarding my Green Card application. I want to pay my Taxes here. Hopefully the powers that be see it the same way. So that's the biggest thing. By far. And it's pretty fucking cool too. We've been together over 7 years now and it was time regardless of the circumstances. My ring is very cool too.


Good start. What else?


Family visits. My dad and his girlfriend (I'm married and my dad has a girlfriend. See that's weird to me.) drove out here to Las Vegas from Ontario. Pretty epic. They followed the old Route 66 as close as is possible these days on their way out here. We had a fun few days here in town. We BBQ'd. Went to old Vegas. Took them to the Bellagio. It was very windy so the fountain show wasn't running. I was also able to play a round of golf with my dad in Anthem. We got on for half price. I didn't wear sunblock and got a bad burn. My ankles actually swelled up a couple of days afterwards. It was gross. They headed across to LA and up the Pacific Coast Highway because you gotta if you come this far. Their route home took them across the Sierra Nevadas, the desolation of northern Nevada, Salt Lake City, the Rockies in Wyoming, Mt Rushmore, the prairies of South Dakota & Minnesota, the finally through the forests of Wisconsin & northern Michigan.

My sister came out a couple of weeks ago. She flew. Her visit coincided with virtual my sister-in-law's 30th birthday. She came down with her friends from San Francisco and they rented a mansion. It was amazing and was a great environment for my sister to meet a lot of my wife's family for the first time.


Wow. That's pretty cool. What about day-to-day stuff?

Well generating cash while not being able to work legally does present some challenges but it's not altogether impossible. It would be much easier if I was a better poker player or maybe if I had had the Balls to play in some bigger games when I first got here. I was trying to protect what I had instead of using what I had to make more. For now I'm out of the game. When I get back into a position to play I will do it differently. If I can't bring myself to have a 'no fear attitude' then I need walk away completely. Playing for food is hard. It's mentally crushing and in no way optimal. I can't walk that edge. It's all around in this city. Some people thrive on it or maybe they need it. Having everything hanging in the balance is too much for me though.

So what solution in the meantime?


Well, I've been chauffeuring a few regular clients around. It's good for a few bills a month and basically keeps gas in our vehicle so we can run around and do our other things. Those things include a hair product that we are trying to place in salons, a gardening business that is coming along, ebay sales of stuff we get at garage sales & the Goodwill and a couple of music websites that I have been nurturing for a little while now.

Tragically Hip Tour has been picking up steam lately. The site recently had it's 20,000th visitor and is starting to gain a sizable regular following. The upcoming summer tour followed by a new album and then hopefully a large scale North American Tour should really help those numbers. Currently I have been developing word art based on lyrics and have created some designs that I'm selling through Cafepress. Maybe at some point I can sell advertising by the month. We'll see. My Phish Tour site is a newer version of the Tragically Hip website. This site has the potential for a much larger following but it also faces much stiffer competition. I'm trying to do some things with what I call Setlist Art to try and set it apart from the rest. We'll see.


Well, we're glad to hear that you're still alive and kicking. Enjoy the heat that's coming your way.

Cheers. No worries. It's a dry heat ya know.

1 comment:

jennyroo said...

Congratulations on getting married!! Good for you guys. Glad to hear everything is going well. We miss you up here in the north. I think of you when I see thick cut ruffles. Mmmm.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...