Saturday, June 4, 2011

Blossoms in the Desert


We work on a garden here in Las Vegas that is unlike any garden I ever thought could exist here. The garden is owned by a couple in their 80's. The wife recently had a fall in the backyard and broke her leg. That's where we came into the picture.

It's a spice and vegetable garden and it's completely outdoors. No greenhouse. It is the type of garden one would expect to find in the mid-west or along one of the coasts or just about anywhere else than the desert. Planted in this garden are spices such as thyme, Italian parsley, rosemary, and dill to name a few. The vegetables include squash, tomatoes and onions. There's more. A lot more. There's a lemon tree. We've also been told by 2 members of the family that a particular Weed also thrives in this backyard setting.

Good to know. Good to know. If we all handled our own business we could smile as we gave the finger to the criminal element that runs the Dirty Black Market. But that's another topic for another day.

I'm the muscle of this operation (don't laugh) and my wife handles the details. I climb trees and saw off low hanging branches. I pull weeds. I blow the debris out of the yard. The wife handles the care for the specific plants. She has the knowledge base for this sort of thing. I plan to get there eventually.

So here we are in this garden in the desert that probably shouldn't be here. But it is. It's Thriving. And I'm enjoying this gardening therapy. It's physical. It's outdoors. It gives me time to think.

With proper care and attention lots of things can thrive in lots of places. That includes Me and Us. Here. It includes You and Yours. There. It includes Whoever. Wherever.

I know, pretty deep stuff. But sometimes simple stuff has to be thought, written or read to take effect. Or to energize, or to re-energize. Or maybe to refocus.

Taking care of what's around me in my garden with allow me to thrive. I think that's what I'm trying to spit out here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...