Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spontaneous Beach Ball Mayhem

Super Ball IX

So I moved out west and Phish had their latest festival right near Toronto in Watkins Glen, NY. Perfect. See above ^^^^^. Thankfully they were kynd enough to stream the entire weekend live on the Intertubes and I was able to catch 4 of their 7 sets. I think they played over 100 different songs throughout it all and even busted out AC/DC's 'Big Balls' to begin their last set. Always with the sense of humour, eh?

Things have really been heating up here in LV. Literally. The A/C in our vehicle stopped working just in time for the constant bombardment of triple-digit days. That's days of +100F or over 40C if you're metrically inclined.

I've been working hard on my sites and I think I've found a niche of sorts in creating Digital Art based on concert setlists. I've been doing this for Phish over at the Phish Tour :: Setlist Art website since the beginning of the summer tour and have started doing archival shows on off days. June saw my best traffic month ever for the site and July is on pace to crush June. I gotta look into how one goes about selling advertising space...

The Hip Tour Blog is doing even better. The hype surrounding the recent Bobcaygeon show surely helped in that regard. I have been hard at work for the last 4 months creating Digital Lyric Art for each and every one of The Hip's songs. I still have 3 albums to complete and I may try to redo some of my early creations as my technique has definitely evolved for the better over time. Each page includes lyrics and songs notes usually having to do with live appearances. Along these lines I began creating Setlist Art a la the Phish thing, but a major problem arose. The Hip decided for the first time in their career to start playing the Exact Same Setlist EVERY Single Night! WTF??? So many quality songs and they go to Monkeyville and bust out a Greatest Hits show night after night. Beyond not giving me much to work with art-wise, how Boring is that? Never thought I'd use the word 'lame' to describe one of my favorite bands, but when all you can play is the same thing over and over that's Lame. How about the guy that bought tickets to the 4 Ontario shows? Bet he was pissed.

So I'm running multiple Twitter accounts these days. I have a personal one that rarely gets used. I have a Phish one called @SetlistArt for that site and it gets auto-updated whenever I update the blog. I do occasionally add to it w/o a blog update. @hiptour is the one I spend the most time on because it doesn't auto-update through the blog posts yet. Once I get the remaining 3 albums worth of lyrics posted I will change this. I just don't want to hammer people with massive Twitter hits when I do a batch upload. Currently both of these accounts have less than 40 followers. I expect the Phish one to take off more so than the Hip one and this is because American are much more involved in this Twitter thing on a micro level. I have actually been holding back a bit on the Phish page promotion until I get a bit more of a database going. Not sure if that's smart or dumb. My largest Twitter following is actually for @VegasOutsider. I say surprisingly because it's for a blog/photoblog that I really haven't had much time to cultivate as having both Phish & The Hip on tour at once and trying to get a certain amount of groundwork laid out has really monopolized my time at the computer.

I have been using Facebook as well with The Hip site and it's been going great. I created a page over a year ago and recently climbed above 200 fans which is pretty good considering the collective audience size. I have resisted starting one for the Phish Blog, but I think the time is right. It's really been more because of time management and having too many balls in the air. I'm trying to do a few things really well as opposed to many thing just OK. Luckily once I get a few more things done (50 hrs of work I'd guess) a lot of this stuff will start running itself. Maybe I can even start working on The Vegas Blog, eh? I actually have a bunch of material for it. It's just a matter of organizing and editing it for proper presentation.

We just had a storm here over the last few days so the yard and the car are dirty. I'm off to go clean both plus anything else the Love of My Life includes on the list :)

Until next time here's TUBE:


Phish - 7/2/2011 "Tube" from Phish on Vimeo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...